Running a successful Missouri business takes time, energy, creativity, and patience. Trying to find time to work on your long-term vision for your business while managing the day-to-day reality of employees, customers, vendors, and creditors is a struggle. You likely have little time left to make sure your business is in compliance with local, state, and federal laws, much less stay current on frequent changes to the law.
Staying in Compliance Is Vital to Your Business Success
Each industry has specific regulations with which they must comply. For example, your business may need to comply with:
- Financial laws and regulations
- Environmental laws and regulations
- Privacy laws and regulations, such as HIPAA
- Immigration laws requiring you to verify that your employees are allowed to work in the United States
- Securities laws and regulations if you have stock or consider an initial public offering (IPO)
- State licensure requirements if you have licensed professionals, such as doctors, in your business
- Local zoning laws
- Local board of health requirements, which are especially important if you operate a restaurant or food services business
Once you identify which laws and regulations apply to your business, you should include them in your procedures and train employees. Every time a law or regulation changes, you may need to update your procedures and retrain your employees.
The failure to comply with applicable laws and regulations can be costly. Your business may need to pay government fines or cease operations until the matter is resolved.
Let a Missouri Business Lawyer Help With Legal Compliance
You don’t have to manage this part of your business on your own. It may be too time-consuming and take away from other profitable work you could be doing. Instead, we encourage you to contact our experienced Cape Girardeau and Perryville business attorneys to learn about how we can help you stay current on all laws and regulations to prevent your business from suffering a costly mistake.