How to Protect Your Legal Recovery After a Hit and Run
If you were injured in a hit and run accident, you could take the following steps to bolster your chances of making a successful legal recovery:
- Call the police. Even if you do not think law enforcement will be able to track down the perpetrator, you should always call 9-1-1. A police officer’s report could serve as evidence of your injures and lead to investigators locating a suspect.
- Collect evidence. Take pictures of the crash site and injuries you sustained.
- Talk to eyewitnesses. If anyone may have witnessed the accident, ask them for their name, phone number, and other contact information. Their testimony could be crucial if you can take the case to court or file an insurance claim.
- Write down your recollections. Record everything you remember about the accident, such as the vehicle’s make and model, color, and direction of travel.
- Seek immediate medical treatment. You should always schedule a physician visit after any accident, even if you do not believe you were seriously hurt. A doctor can help identify injuries that may otherwise stay hidden.
- Contact an attorney. Speak to a Missouri hit-and-run attorney as soon as possible. Our legal team could investigate the accident scene on your behalf. We could subpoena surveillance footage, help the police track down a suspect, and submit a claim through your own insurance agency.
Contact Us Today
The Law Office of Layton & Southard has years of experience helping Missouri hit and run accident victims secure compensation for their injuries. We could assist you in recovering damages for your:
- Hospital bills
- Physical rehabilitation
- Prescription medication
- Lost income from work
- Emotional pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment
Since Missouri does not have a cap on the damages you may receive in a personal injury lawsuit, you could receive as much compensation as you need to begin moving past your accident. However, the faster you act, the better: Missouri has a strict statute of limitations for hit-and-run cases. If you wait too long to contact an attorney, you could lose out on your recovery.
Have You Been Injured in a Car Accident in Missouri?
If you've been injured in a car accident, you need to speak with an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Cape Girardeau office directly at 573.335.3359 to schedule your initial consultation.