There is never a convenient time to get into a car accident. Establishing fault, negotiating with insurance companies, and seeking compensation for damages is a stressful process that is best handled by experienced legal representatives. When you work with Layton & Southard, you can be sure that your rights are fully protected under Missouri law. We offer you not only justice but also peace of mind so that you can begin to rebuild your life.
Types of Car Accidents
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, the accidents that occur every day on Missouri roads include:
- Head-on accidents
- Left-turn accidents
- Multi-vehicle accidents
- Rear-end collisions
- T-bone or side-impact wrecks
- Rollover crashes
- Single vehicle accidents
If you’re hurt due to negligence in any of the above, you may file a claim against the at-fault driver for medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering. We will make sure that you do so within the time limits allowed by law.
Statute of Limitations
In the event of personal injury, property damage, or death, it is important to know your rights under the law. The Missouri statute of limitations states that all claims involving a car crash should be made within five years, but we recommend that you act as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to negotiate with your insurance company. We will guide you through every step of the process to ensure that you are always aware of your rights.
Causes and Comparative Fault
It is important for you to understand how Missouri courts delegate awards to victims of car accidents. Our state follows a pure comparative fault rule, which allocates damage awards based on the percentage of fault.
After the total amount of damages is assessed, it is determined how much each party is to blame for the accident. This may depend on any of the following negligent actions:
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Drugged driving
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Driving with motor vehicle defects
- Failure to adjust to adverse weather conditions
For example, if one driver is found to be 75% at fault for an accident and the injured victim is responsible for the other 25%, the victim will receive 75% of the total damages from the at-fault driver and be responsible for paying the other 25% of their accident-related expenses.
It is important to note that there is no empirical method of determining fault, so this largely depends on your ability to argue your case in court. In such instances, Daniel J. Grimm is in your corner and will fight for the most favorable outcome possible.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car collisions can cause a number of very serious injuries requiring immediate treatment or surgery. Some injuries might be permanent, preventing a return to work and requiring lifelong medical care. Our personal injury attorneys will fight to get you the compensation you deserve for any of the following:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Fractured, broken, or crushed bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Internal injuries
- Back injuries including slipped or herniated discs
- Head injuries including concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Emotional and psychological trauma
If you’ve lost a loved one in a car accident, Layton & Southard can help you to file a wrongful death claim against the at-fault party.
Let Us Help You Get the Compensation You Deserve
We will perform a thorough investigation of your accident and demonstrate where the fault lies. Insurance companies will always try to pay as little as possible, so we can negotiate for the compensation you deserve by collecting a body of evidence that includes:
- Medical bills
- Wage statements
- Accident reports
- Repair bills or estimates
- Witnesses’ affidavits
- The at-fault driver’s driving record
- Investigation reports
- Photos of your vehicle
- Photos of the accident scene
Have You Been Injured in a Car Accident in Missouri?
If you've been injured in a car accident, you need to speak with an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Cape Girardeau office directly at 573.335.3359 to schedule your initial consultation.